Monday, October 6, 2008

Sublimity and Me

The Road was one recent book that got a nefarious hold on my imagination and wouldn't let go until I was done with it.  

I remember reading The Color Purple in a day, it got so ahold of me that I didn't want to put it down.

When I saw the poem "The Last Time Shorty Towers Fetched the Cows," I read it over and over, stuck with the phrasing and the images in the poem.  I loved it, and I wanted to write poems like that.

I love the ending of Shane, and I weep with the little boy as Shane rides away, the boy calling out after him to come back!

For some dumb reason I love the movie "The Wizard of Oz" in a way that's not entirely healthy or mature.  

I've always enjoyed Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" album, and some of the songs in it.  The title song always gets me fired up.  Another song, "Racing in the Streets," somehow gets to me--the lost hope of the characters.  

Sublime?  I don't know.  Maybe The Road is somehow sublime, its clarity of vision and excellent consistency.  You never get a break in the book into something decent, kind, pleasant, or hopeful.  Is that sublime?  

No comments: