Monday, October 6, 2008

Okay, A Computer Game


One of the things that got ahold of my imagination was the game "Civilization," a game in which you control a civilization and attempt to outplay all other civilizations vying for resources on the globe.  I loved it.  I played it too much.  I thought about it when I should have been thinking about other things.  I strategized when I was in the car, at surprising moments.  It made me think about it well outside the boundaries of my time playing the game.  I grew to resent it.  

But the game play, for me, was almost addictive.  Delete almost.  Was it sublime?  I'm not sure.  I was somehow aware of technique and style, and the game play was strategic.  So I thought strategy when I was thinking about it, not just immersed in the play of the game.  

Anyway, if it's simply a transporting out of the self and into the experience of the artifact, then it worked for me.  

No comments: